Trial and Failure Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

About the Paradoxes section...

2 posters

Go down

About the Paradoxes section... Empty About the Paradoxes section...

Post  tinynewtman Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:27 pm

I was thinking about a couple of the paradoxes you listed in that section, I would disagree that several are not.
If you take humans as creatures that can manipulate objects within 3 dimensions, but can only inhabit the fourth (for this example, let's use time as the fourth dimension), then many of these paradoxes become invalid. Should we build a device that can move freely through this fourth dimension without affecting its inhabitants, it could travel to the past (or future). However, we would still experience it in our forward perception of time. Thus, going into the past to shake Kennedy's hand would not affect your past self, as long as you did not intervene.
According to these procedures, though, certain paradoxes must hold water. The predetermination paradox must be correct, or else a branching universe would be created. Then again, this one we're living in might just be the result of such a branch, and our perceptions the changes.
Still others would be created from such a time device. If a travel guide were published for the most popular events in time to visit, then a number of time-tourists would go to that time and place. Therefore, how would one know if time-travelers are present in the current age, when history is being made? How would one know the differences between people of the native time and those of the future/past?
Just a couple things to think about.

tinynewtman

Back to top Go down

About the Paradoxes section... Empty Re: About the Paradoxes section...

Post  Admin Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:35 pm

So what you're saying is, nothing we do would affect anything from the present?

Last edited by Admin on Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:33 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Grammar error)
Admin
Admin
Admin

http://trialandfailure.freeforumshosting.org

Back to top Go down

Post  tinynewtman Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:25 pm

Sorry to say this, but I think you meant *affect.
</grammarnazi>
What I'm trying to say is that the person before time travel would be (somewhat) independent of the person after time travel.
For example, say that immediately after launch, I wanted to buy a Wii, but they were all sold out. I would enter my time machine and go to the launch day and purchase one. After that, I would get back in the time machine and travel to just after I first entered it (to avoid universe implosion due to antimatter collision or whatever). That way, my past self still wouldn't have a Wii, but my present self would.
Savvy?

tinynewtman

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:32 pm

tinynewtman wrote:Sorry to say this, but I think you meant *affect.
</grammarnazi>
What I'm trying to say is that the person before time travel would be (somewhat) independent of the person after time travel.
For example, say that immediately after launch, I wanted to buy a Wii, but they were all sold out. I would enter my time machine and go to the launch day and purchase one. After that, I would get back in the time machine and travel to just after I first entered it (to avoid universe implosion due to antimatter collision or whatever). That way, my past self still wouldn't have a Wii, but my present self would.
Savvy?

1. I'm not too good with those, but thanks for letting me know; I'll edit the post. Smile

2. I see what you're saying now. But wouldn't that create a new paradox? Because you didn't go out and buy it, so you don't have it, but yo go back and buy it, so you do have it, but then, since you came back at the exact moment, you don't need to go back, so you do...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  tinynewtman Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:06 am

@2: The idea behind it was to come back after you left, so that (technically) you would get the Wii after you wanted one. That way, you would avoid the whole paradox and not affect the past in any way it wasn't already affected.
This idea is somewhat similar to this problem: If you from the future were to appear in front of you and break your nose, would you forgive him?

tinynewtman

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:31 pm

tinynewtman wrote:@2: The idea behind it was to come back after you left, so that (technically) you would get the Wii after you wanted one. That way, you would avoid the whole paradox and not affect the past in any way it wasn't already affected.
This idea is somewhat similar to this problem: If you from the future were to appear in front of you and break your nose, would you forgive him?

I'd wait until I do it myself, to see why I did it in the first place. If my future self said "Voo awe destined fuh gwait tings" right before punching me, though, I'd instantly forgive myself.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  tinynewtman Fri May 06, 2011 10:07 pm

Okay, but let's just say that you didn't know that it was you from the future until after the occurrence (don't know why, but go with me on this one). If you didn't realize it was you, then would you forgive yourself after learning it was you?

tinynewtman

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat May 07, 2011 2:49 pm

tinynewtman wrote:Okay, but let's just say that you didn't know that it was you from the future until after the occurrence (don't know why, but go with me on this one). If you didn't realize it was you, then would you forgive yourself after learning it was you?

Yes.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down